It's our first-ever de LaB field trip! Escape with us into the desert to catch the closing weekend of Modernism Week in Palm Springs. Join de LaB at the event "PS Modernists: Insider Stories," a very special panel co-hosted by our friends at Michael H. Lord Gallery and Palm Springs Life Magazine.
Ever imagine what it was like to hang out with Albert Frey or sip martinis with John Lautner and Julius Shulman? We do. "PS Modernists: Insider Stories" is a rare opportunity to meet the original modernists—long-time residents who lived and worked with key figures during the birth of modernism in Palm Springs.
- Jean Farrar: Albert Frey's long-time companion and co-author, yogi, health advocate, and former Miss Palm Springs, Jean is the ultimate insider. Her knowledge of Palm Springs history and architecture is unequaled. If Facebook were around back then, her friend list would have included Albert Einstein, Cary Grant, Groucho Marx, Elvis Presley, Howard Huges, Mae West, Liberace, and many more...
- Leland Y. Lee: Now 93, Leland worked with Julius Shulman for eight years. He was the first to shoot the Arthur Elrod house in 1968 for House and Garden Magazine. He had his first solo exhibition last year and will be showing four additional prints this year at the gallery.
- Mathew Sumich: Artist and landscape designer who collaborated with all of the renowned Palm Springs Modernists including John Lautner, Donald Wexler, William Cody and Albert Frey. Reared in Southern California, he is now 79 and moved to Palm Springs in 1957.
- Nel Ivancich: Artist and creator who also traveled the same creative circles. Her current project Paper or Plastic, will be on show at the gallery.
- Moderated by Sam Heaton
After they dish on what it was like to live, work, and design back then, join us for a private reception. Frey, Lee, Sumich and Ivancich are all featured artists this month.
After the panel, we'll head back to the Ace Hotel Palm Springs, where we've secured a block of rooms and a special rate, to sip our own martinis, or perhaps their signature Figa cocktail, made with fig-infused vodka.
PS Modernists: Insider Stories
Saturday, February 26
1:00pm to 2:30pm: Panel discussion and Q&A session followed by reception
1090 N. Palm Canyon Drive
Palm Springs, CA 92262
View Larger Map
How do you RSVP?
Please email us at email@example.com to RSVP for the panel (it's free). Spots will be reserved for de LaB until January 30, after that, they'll open it up to the public. We'll need your name and number in your group. Facebook RSVPs do not count (sorry!).
Where can you stay?
Our friends at the Ace Hotel have been awesome enough to block off some rooms for us. Just let them know that you're with the de LaB group to receive a special rate of $179/night with no resort fee. To receive this rate, you must call 760.325.9900 to make your reservation. Do not book online.
What else is there to do?
It's closing weekend of Modernism Week in Palm Springs. There's tons to do! Here are a few top picks. Just remember that most Modernism Week events are ticketed so be sure to consult the official schedule for details. Buy tickets here.
- 5-7pm: Vintage Trailer Show and Cocktail Party
- TBD: Celebrity Home Tour and VIP Reception
- 1-3pm: Just Fabulous Tiki Party
There are also Double Decker Bus architectural tours all weekend, and don't miss the Vintage Trailer Show.
See you in Palm Springs!
- Don't forget Falls Fever next Monday, January 24, our first de LaB of the year.
- Take the de LaB survey by January 31! Let us know what you want to do/see/taste/experience in 2011, and one lucky person will win a membership to the Gamble House.Top image: Albert Frey, self portrait; poolside at the Ace
Top image: Albert Frey, self-portrait; poolside at the Ace