Moving Beyond Cars
L.A.’s Alternative Transportation Celebration
We suspect Los Angeles might have a car-crazed reputation but we also know this city has a vibrant community that likes to take bikes, buses and sidewalks, too. de LaB is partnering with Rethink LA, GOOD, the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition, Dublab, Green Aid, The Architect's Newspaper, Tommy B, APA-LA, and the A+D Museum for an event that shows how L.A. can move beyond cars. We'll be heading to the exhibition Rethink LA: Perspectives on a Future City which envisions a Los Angeles fifty years in the future. And we're challenging everyone who attends to use alternative transportation.
That's right—our goal is to make this a completely car-free party. If you remember, we did this last year and it was lots of fun.
Board a bus, take the train, ride a bike, map out a walk, jump on your scooter, hire a horse and buggy, break out your hoverboard... just get here in a way that illustrates an L.A. that's not auto-dependent. Connect with friends and travel together. Document your trip on Twitter, Flickr or Facebook using the tag #RethinkLA. When you get to the event, we'll have an opportunity for everyone to record how they got there, where they came from, and what happened during their journey.
Moving Beyond Cars
Thursday, August 11
6032 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90036
$10 at the door / $5 for students
• Spin-artists from Dublab will be DJing
• Free beer from New Belgium Brewery
• LACBC will have a bike valet out front
• GOOD will be collecting statistics on your journey to turn into an incredible alternative transportation-based infographic
• While on your journey, email photos to email@example.com then watch the slideshow at the party
• Document your stories with the Re/corder, journeys and creative stories will be retold by Architects Newspaper
• Ride-Thru bike photos by Tommy B.
• Interactive urban workshops with James Rojas
• Greenaid will be talking about their seedbombs
Also! GOOD is sponsoring a project to Imagine Your Los Angeles Street Beyond Cars. Submit your concept by July 31. All the submissions will be featured at the event, and winners will be announced.
And don't forget to document your trip! Tag your Tweets, FB updates, foursquare check-ins with #rethinkLA and email photos of your journey to firstname.lastname@example.org and they'll be projected at the event. Prizes will be given for the best journeys!
GETTING THERE IS HALF THE PARTY!
Sponsored by Rethink LA, GOOD Magazine, A+D Museum, De Lab, Dublab, Green Aid, Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition, Architects Newspaper, APA-LA, Bang & Olufsen, Tommy B., New Belgium Brewery
Illustration by Lorin Brown for GOOD LA